HISTORICAL FACT:

James Moss Smith was a surgeon and 1st Lieutenant of the
18th Virginia Infantry during the War Between the States.
He was the first mayor of Martinsville
and sold the land to the City for the cemetery.

WELCOME TO OAKWOOD CEMETERY

Founded in 1883 by the City of Martinsville, Oakwood Cemetery is located in uptown Martinsville, Virginia on a beautiful 23 acre tract. In 1887 the cemetery was deeded to the newly created Martinsville Cemetery Association. Today, the Association still manages the cemetery and is responsible for the preservation and improvement of the grounds for past, present, and future generations.

The preservation of the Cemetery has been possible because of the generosity of our Friends and Families. Anyone interested in helping to support our mission can visit the Donations section to learn more about how to make a tax deductible contribution.

Please tour our site to learn more about Oakwood.

Current Notices:

  • Oakwood Cemetery is setting up a pet scatter garden for plot owners and their families. The area has been selected and now we are in the process of raising funds to develop. It is the intent of the board not to use general cemetery funds. If you would like more information on making a donation or about the pet scatter garden please contact the cemetery.
Copyright © 2011. All Rights Reserved. 107 Cemetery Street • Martinsville, VA 24112    |    (276) 732-9706    |    info@oakwoodcemeterymartinsville.com